Friday 2 July 2010

A Trip to Cervantes and Jurien Bay

 Well the weather has been pretty cold here in Western Australia...a couple of days ago we had the lowest on record for Perth -0.6...pretty much Icelandic winter weather...a good acclimatising period for me as it will probably be getting cooler by the time I get back there.

 I have been away for a few days again...I suppose I am cramming as much of Western Australia in as I can before I leave it.  I visited Cervantes, Jurien Bay and surrounding areas with my sister Kerry and her partner Stephen, we found quite a few stunning areas with breath taking views via Geocaching.

We visited the Pinnacles which is an amazing and truly strange place, it is not that far from Perth but would you believe after living in WA for over 50 years I have never been there before this. 
 We spent several days going from one Geocaching site to the next soaking up the Australian bush and scrub...although this region along the coast is more scrub than bush...it still is beautiful in its own unique way.
 I think this is my way of saying goodbye to WA as I don't feel that I return, at least not for a very long time!
 This is a rock off the coast of Cervantes...very unusual shape and if you look closely you can see that it is teeming with birds.
 Aussie icons waiting for us at a Hansen Bay Lookout
 Stromatolites at Lake Thetis
This colourful beach shack is surrounded by two story mansions in Cervantes...I think this was the only way it could compete.

We have walked quite a few kilometres this week Geocaching.  It has certainly taken us to a few scenic spots off the main drag, places you would never see if not for the cache locations.  
A cairn built in 1875 at Grigsons Lookout  
 Views from the Lookout
This is a strange fungus type thing that pushes itself up through  bitumen roads...if you tap it it will release many spores.  I have no idea what it is called, Stephen said when they were kids they called them puff balls.  I cannot find any info about them on the internet so if anyone knows what their correct name is please let me know.

Some Geocachers go to great lengths to make the search challenging.  See pics below for some of the ingenious ways caches are camouflaged or hidden. 
 




1 comment:

  1. Great post! This geocaching thing looks like a great way to get off the beaten track.

    The Australian bush/scrub really is so pretty, these pictures are amazing - makes me want to explore the wilderness whenever I get back to Australia!
    xx

    ReplyDelete