Monday 15 November 2010

How to knit like an Icelandic man

While I have been playing the waiting game on the outcome of some business negotiations, I have when indoors busied myself with knitting.  I have been teaching myself to knit with the search skills of Google and the very many helpful people who have bothered to take the time to provide YouTube knitting tutorials on many of the queries I happen to come up with.

My skills are vastly improving each day and this weekend I learned how to knit fingerless gloves which involved at different stages up to 5 DPN's (double pointed needles for those of you not in the know), cable stitch and picot bind off, plus how to use waste wool when creating the thumb hole....all very exciting!

Sorry the pic is a little blurry but its a bit hard taking a photo with one hand

Ross has asked for another Beanie as he has been wearing the one I made to work and it has become as he says "a little fished up"....so today I will start another hat for him...they are definitely improving as I go along.

Left to right the 1st one I made with the nipple shape on top, 2nd one was better but the band kept curling up, 3rd is Ross's one that is now a "bit fished up" (and by that we mean smell, which doesn't really go away even after washing).

 This 4th one I made for myself, great for keeping my ears warm when out on my walks.

As I have said previously Iceland is the knitting capital of the world and even men knit, so to prove that here is a little video of an Icelandic man knitting...it is very funny in an Icelandic sort of way (thanks to my sister Kerry for the heads up on this video). 

1 comment:

  1. You are a braver woman than I - learning to knit by watching a video~ ha ha ha. I should do the same. My Icelandic sweetie's Mom has taught me to crochet but not yet to knit. I want to learn!

    Nice hats by the way :)

    ReplyDelete