Saturday 2 April 2011

I have a confession...I am addicted!

In between painting and Icelandic classes I knit and on Wednesday evenings I attend a knitting group where about a dozen women get together and knit and chat, whilst I don't understand very much of what is said the group is very welcoming, inclusive and full of laughter. 

Knitting is done differently on this side of the world and is known as the continental method.  I was taught the English style which is the throwing method.  The continental method seems very fast with minimal movement of the hands, the ladies in the group seem to whip up lopapeysas (Icelandic Jumper) within a couple of days.  I thought I would give this method a go and see if I am able to retrain my brain to become accustomed to this style.  I have always been a little ambidextrous, I write and paint with my left hand but use scissors, knives, computer mouse with my right...and writing with my right hand never feels that foreign to me...I am sure if I perservered it would soon become second nature.

However I also decided to complicate the issue by learning how to knit a fancy smancy pattern for a cushion cover,  I was trying to cross two hurdles with one leap as I knew I would eventually need to know how to create these patterns when I finally make myself that lopapeysa.  I also couldn't enlarge the print out and therefore had to use a magnifying glass to count the squares and then mark with dots and crosses so I knew exactly where I was in the pattern (oh so time consuming).
 

As I had two different coloured threads that needed to be woven through on the back as I knitted, I searched the Internet and YouTube for help and came up with the two handed method.    
 My left hand with the brown thread knitted continental style and my right hand with the blue thread knitted the throwing style.  I am sure this must be good for the brain and possibly help delay the onset of Alzheimer's.  After knitting like this for so many weeks it now feels strange only having the thread in one hand.

Degree of difficulty soared with the complexity of the pattern, plus I decided to knit it in the round to  have less seams and knit stripes on the back. All this meant that this ended up being a long and tedious project...no watching TV and knitting with this baby.

So after many frustrating weeks I finally finished the thing. There are several errors where I miss counted when trying to watch TV, drink coffee, talk or do anything else simultaneously but unless you spent time specifically searching you don't notice them.
 
 Front
Back
I have become a little addicted to knitting and purchasing knitting related products.  To the visitor my home looks innocent enough but lurking beneath the surface are secret stashes of all things knitting and this is only after a couple of months...goodness knows what it will be like in a year or so.

There is nothing worse than not having the right size needles when the urge to knit comes upon you.  Ross bought Olga a set similar to this for her Birthday/Christmas gift and I must admit I coveted them...not any more!

 Innocent enough looking coffee side tables which are normally scattered around the room
 But lurking undercover are many many balls of wool
 And this old ammo box of my dad's is perfect for patterns, needles and all other required paraphernalia.

 Now onto the next knitting project which will get me in the grandma mode.

9 comments:

  1. Oh Vicki that is lovely. Well done and a good use of the tables. Dad's ammo box, what a good idea, must get mine out of the shed. Not that it will be used for knitting needles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least you know how to knit! I only know crocheting - and only one type of stitch at that! Bravo to you learning a new way and doing so well at it. I like your innocent storage chests too. On my upcoming visit to Florida to see my Icelandic Mom-In-Law I am hoping she will teach me to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pillow is amaaaaazing, you must be so proud! I love that sense of achievement when you finish a project, although I must admit it has been ages since I've finished anything!

    Love all the hidden stashes, too!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cushion looks great!

    There is nothing that feels better than satisfying an addiction. It's always good to have one going at any one time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That ammo box is awesome, where has that been hiding? Looks great. Impressive knitting action there too Mum..not sure if I will be able to carry on any of those skills, think I will leave it for Olga.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone, now that it is finished...in hindsight it feels like I really enjoyed making it, but if I am honest it was a bit like pulling teeth...too much counting to be a relaxing process...however I did relish the challenge and of course the reward of accomplishment at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Vicki my name is Carolyn and I am friends with Unnur (she taught my son last year) she thought I might be interested in reading your blog and I have to say I am really enjoying every bit of it! I love your story, I love the risk you took moving to Iceland, I love the Post Office building and the inspiration it gives you, I love the way you write, what you include in your blogs, I find each little bit fascinating and inspiring. I love photography so am enjoying your photos as well. I love Travel and am intrigued by your beautiful town, Iceland has always been on my wish list of destinations and I hope to one day visit this beautiful spot. I look forward to your next installments! Oh and I am sooo impressed by your beautiful cushion, what a challenge and an amazing result. Thanks for the glimpse in to a world so far from my own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Carolyn, I tried to reply privately but Blogger would not let me do it. If you ever get here for a visit please look me up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a learner of various education you can contact :- There upskilling door supervisor course are certain new ways which can first aid at work course help in getting the professional door and other sia door supervisor training safety supervisor works all met that is perfect in cctv training course certain manners.

    ReplyDelete