Thursday 23 August 2012

"It is the trouble that never comes that causes the loss of sleep" ~ Chas. Austin Bates

You may not have gathered from my posts but whilst I have a very strong feeling I am meant to be where I am...there are always nervous worryings, particularly financial ones.  I have taken an enormous risk, particularly with my financial security...I sold my home in Australia and with all of the  funds from this sale have financed this adventure.  I have been here nearly 2 years and as time has moved on and things have taken longer than initially planned I have had quite a few sleepless nights fraught with worry, wondering if this venture would be financially possible and viable.  However, even this late in the summer season, I have been pleasantly surprised by the bookings and enquiries I have received to date, my nerves have been calmed and I feel quietly confidant about it all.

Fortuitously, Lonely Planet were also in town recently doing the rounds of accommodation and seemed suitably impressed with what I had to offer and so fingers crossed Gamla Pósthúsið makes it into the 2013 Lonely Planet Iceland Travel Book.

So all is moving forward nicely the apartments are complete and I am pleased with the way they have turned out.  As I already have posted pics of apartment 1, today's are of apartment 2.








The next stage of development will be the retail space which is a blank canvas at the moment just waiting for me to make a mark...still not sure how this will work except that it will be art related...I am sure inspiration will hit me soon.

 The white metal railings are to the spiral staircase that leads down to my studio

 Front door opening onto the street.

 There are lots of windows, good lighting but not so much wall space.

 The space beyond the main area
 Door leading to storage area and small kitchen, the other is to the parcel lift which goes between this floor and the basement

  I left in part of the original staff kitchen...I am sure it will be useful.


3 comments:

  1. Vicki, The place looks amazing! Congratulations. I'm sure the bookings will roll in. The shop space looks fantastic. I love the floors !

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a huge task to take on Vicki, it's wonderful to see what you've done and to hear that the bookings are coming in, and a listing in Lonely Planet would be great.

    ReplyDelete