Thursday, 19 August 2010

Farewell to a couple of good friends

This has been a week of goodbyes firstly to Squeek my 10 year old cat who was a wild stray kitten deserted by his mother at a few weeks old, he literally fell from the sky into my lap (long story) so of course I had to take him home.  He was several generations wild cat and pretty much stayed that way, he did not like being inside unless it was dinner time and never took to being stroked, however I think we were a match as I am allergic to cats, so one that didn't like being inside or patted was perfect.  Of course I could not take him with me to Iceland and unfortunately because of his aggressive temperament I was unable to find a home for him.  As the house air changed with boxes and packing, Squeek became unsettled and a little stressed and started to stay inside day and night (very strange behavior for Squeek) and in the last few days took to sleeping on the end of my bed. 

 He starts off as if he enjoys the caress
 and then he gets the look
and you know he is about to bite the hand that pats.

Not  all decisions in life are easy and I had to make the very difficult decision to have him euthanased. Saturday was a very tearful day, farewell old mate.

Moving can be such a stressful much to do within a short space of time.   Sorting, packing, cleaning, getting rid of things away or throwing in the skip for passerbys to grab (and did they ever, so happy that not much is ending up in landfill).  However apart from sheer exhaustion for a couple of days I have to say that the whole experience has been relatively stress free.  From preparing the home for sale, to selling with Radi Estates who were very professional and a pleasure to deal with, to moving.  The moving company Chess were great, they spent a full day packing and wrapping furniture

and then a day to load the container. They were a great team, very hard working and nothing I asked was too much trouble.

 The guy who packed the container (Japanese) Ikki (not sure if that is how he spells his name) made it look so easy as he carefully judged which piece would go in next, even his team mates said that he is amazing and the best at making everything fit...a cultural trait I think.

 The last thing to go on was my press which is extremely heavy and a bit of a nightmare to maneuver
but they did it without disaster.  

The youngest of the team Curtis asked if he could take a root of a Hibiscus that was sprouting as he is creating his garden with plants from each house move he idea!

A house is somewhat different when it is empty, however I can still feel this old house smile.

I do have a little sadness saying goodbye, as I walk around the empty rooms, my imprint is now only a shadow layer not seen but felt.
She has been a great little home and I thank her for allowing me to share a few years with her but now its time to share another elsewhere.


  1. Very sorry for your loss. There is a price to pay for loving them. I still think it is worth it.

  2. Awww... Sad but lovely post.
    Those photos of Squeek are so awesomely typical - I love how he´s a blur as he starts biting!
    He was definitely a cat with character.

    And the house looks so empty! Hope your house here in Iceland becomes just as much of a home!

    P.S. Sigga has not yet commented as she was trying not to cry at work!