Monday 7 February 2011

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Gosh many Aussies are doing it tough at the moment and through no fault of their own.  The Queensland floods were absolutely devastating to be followed immediately by Cyclone Yasi.  Whilst my heart went out to the people of Queensland I knew no one affected by those traumatic events, however the fires in Perth are much closer to my heart as I lived in the Roleystone/Kelmscott area for 20 years and I know the area well.  I still have very good friends that live there and I pray that all is well with them.   Over 40 homes have been destroyed and many more badly damaged but fortunately no lives have been lost.  The house that we lived in for 15 years on Brookton Highway seems to be dangerously close to where the fire started and I wonder if it is still standing.  The Buckingham Bridge that has been destroyed was only about 500m from our old home.

Buckingham Bridge on Brookton Highway Kelmscott.

Unner and Thor my daughter-inlaw's parents also live in Roleystone but Olga rang them yesterday, they are safe and their house fortunately was not in the path of the fire.  My daughter Eva has confirmed for me that friends, whose property was in the area of the fire, are fine and their home was spared. The WA fire brigade has been spread thin this past few days with fires not only in the Kelmscott Roleystone area but also another four fires at Brigadoon, Red Hill, Ferndale and Lesueur National Park. 

These tragic events have made the news here in Iceland.

My thoughts are with those who have lost so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment